The beauty of simplicity.
True beauty is natural and comes from within. The AVEDA mission to use products with ingredients naturally derived from flower and plant essence, is what creates a unique and special kind of experience for each guest.
The professionals at Mood Swings Salon & Skin Spa whole-heartedly believe in the AVEDA mission and strive to uncover each individual’s true beauty. Whether you want to change your look completely or simply maintain the look you’ve become comfortable with, we always want you to walk out the door feeling more beautiful and confident than you did walking in. The world we live in is full of propaganda and misleading information as to what beauty is and what it should mean to us. My recommendation, as Plato graciously stated, “Beauty of style, and harmony, and grace, and good rhythm depends on simplicity.”
Keep it simple, keep it natural, keep it BEAUTIFUL!
“Our mission at AVEDA is to care for the world we live in, from the products we make to the ways in which we give back to society. At AVEDA, we strive to set an example for environmental leadership and responsibility, not just in the world of beauty, but around the world.”
“Our mission at Mood Swings Salon & Skin Spa is to provide each and every guest a unique salon & spa experience through our passion for technical competence, outstanding customer service, and commitment to community.”
Please share your idea of what the “beauty of simplicity” means to you and what, in your opinion, is true beauty?
Although we should be conscious of breast cancer and women’s health all year-round, in October we pay extra care and raise extra awareness to such an important and life-altering condition. Mood Swings and AVEDA are dedicated, as part of our mission, to uphold our commitment to the community. This month, Mood Swings is offering discounted services and we are donating a portion of that cost to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
“Our mission is to achieve prevention and a cure for breast cancer in our lifetime by providing critical funding for innovative clinical and translational research at leading medical centers worldwide, and increasing public awareness about good breast health. Currently, 91 cents of every dollar spent by BCRF is directed towards breast cancer research and awareness programs.”
-The Breast Cancer Research Foundation Mission Statement
How can you help? Enjoy an Award Winning service!
Pink Sparkle Shellac Manicure- $30 (Reg. $37)
Mood Swings Donates $5 to Breast Cancer Research Foundation
Glow Treatment- $30 (Reg. $35)
Mood Swings Donates $5 to Breast Cancer Research Foundation
Pink Hair Extension- $10
Mood Swings Donates $10 to Breast Cancer Research Foundation
Purchase AVEDA Hand Relief- $24
AVEDA Donates $4 to Breast Cancer Research Foundation
To learn more about The Breast Cancer Research Foundation and learn additional ways you can help support breast cancer research, visit: http://www.bcrfcure.org/!
This season, luxurious petal tones grounded by sophisticated neutrals cast features in a provocative new light. The look is yours to define, with color-saturated lips or richly contoured eyes. Aveda makeup goes beyong minerals, with plant-derived ingredients to help care for your skin, and is formulated without parabens, talc or carmine. Check out these tips from the collection’s creator, Janell Geason.
- RED DAHLIA
“Cat-shaped contouring elongates the eyes, while feminine colors and soft blending keep the look sophisticated.” -Janell Geason, Aveda Artistic Director, Makeup
- Eyes: Apply bittersweet petal essence single eye color to lid from lash to the crease. Contour lid from outer to inner corner in night iris eye color, and brush night iris along outer 2/3 of bottom lash line. Softly wing out the contour to create a cat shape, and diffuse the contour edges with bittersweet eye color. Smudge brown velvet rose eye color along outer 2/3 of upper and bottom lash lines for definition. Highlight inner corners with callalily eye color. Curl lashes, apply earth mosscara and fill in the brows.
- Face/Lips: Create luminous skin with inner light mineral tinted moisture spf 15. Highlight cheekbones with callalily eye color, contour with peach lights petal essence face accents. Accent apples of cheeks with plum touch face accents. Prep lips with nourish-mint renewing lip treatment smoothing lip color. Add a touch of shine at the center of the lips with star dahlia nourish-mint rehydrating lip glaze.
- See how Janell creates the look at aveda.com!
Create a beautiful, daytime smokey-eye with AVEDA’s summer makeup collection! Follow these simple steps and you can have the hottest look of the summer. Don’t be afraid to spice up your eye makeup with bold colors! On Brittany, we used AVEDA’s Violet Coast Eyeshadow Trio with Wild Indigo Eyeliner.
Step 1: With a flat eyeshadow brush, sweep the lightest pigmet across the lid from the lash line to the brow line.
Step 2: Draw a half circle on your eyelid, from your lash line to halfway to the crease and fill in.
Step 3: Apply the darkest pigment over the liner, from the lashline to the crease.
Step 4: Use silver pigment to blend.
Step 5. Line botton lash with the darkest pigment.
Step 6: Look gorgeous!
It’s so easy to take this look from day to night with a little bronzer and darker lip color. Again, never be afraid of bold color!
Need a professional makeup lesson? Come in to see one of our makeup artists for your personal makeup lesson! Call now to make an appointment at 480-968-0268!
Need a remedy for your dry, brittle hair caused by the hot Arizona sun? AVEDA’s Botanical Treatments are what you need! It only takes 15 minutes with a hair service and I guarantee you will see immediate results! I found that they are great to do in between highlighting services because the treatment adds protein back into the hair, which allows the hair to be stronger and prevents it from breakage.
What are the Botanical Treatments?
Botanical Scalp Therapy: Conditions, soothes, and purifies scalp
Botanical Scalp Detox Therapy: Intense detoxifier
Botanical Moisture Therapy: Penetrating moisture
Botanical Repair Therapy: Penetrating protein
Botanical Hair and Scalp Therapy: Scalp Balance or Detox, and Hair Moisture or Repair
*Hair treatments moisturize and repair each strand by 86% with 84% penetrating in minutes. It is safe to use on colored and textured hair, too!
JULY SPECIAL: Botanical Moisture or Repair Therapy w/ ANY Hair Service just $20! ($25 Value)
There are several benefits to receiving massages that can improve the quality of your life. At Mood Swings, we believe in natural healing and base your massage experience on the AVEDA Elemental Nature philosphy by incorporating your favorite AVEDA aromas.
Here is an outline of the benefits you can receive from massage:
- Relieve stress
- Manage anxiety and depression
- Blood pressure control
- Sports-related injuries
- Immunity boost
- Cancer treatment
As we get into these hot summer months, relaxing in a cool, dimly lit room will take the stresses of the day away and bring your Chakra in balance. Allow our highly trained Licensed Massage Therapist to take you on a journey of the senses!
Call 480-968-0268 to book your massage now!
The wait is over… Eyelash extensions are here!! What are eyelash extensions? Eyelash extensions are individual lashes that bond to your existing lashes that create the look of longer, full lashes. They last approximately 4-6 weeks depending on how well they are taken care of. These eyelash extensions are so soft and completely pain free!
- Eyelash Extensions start at $150 and look beautifully natural!
- Extensions are applied one at a time to your natural eyelashes, unlike lash strips, using a long-lasting adhesive.
- Each set is completely customizable!
- You can wear them in the shower, in the pool, and to the gym.
- Most find you don’t even need any makeup with them!
- Partial Set (Starting at $150)
- Full Set (Starting at $250)
- First Fill is COMPLIMENTARY (Within 7 days of Original Service)
- Fills (Starting at $40 for a Partial or $75 for a Full within 3 Weeks of Original Service)
- COMPLIMENTARY Consultations (Required Prior to Booking Lash Extension Service)
***SPECIAL OFFER: Buy 5 Fills & Get 1 Fill FREE
Check out this before and after picture…
Come in for your COMPLIMENTARY consultation!
How does one express the love they have for their mother? Is a card and some flowers sufficient? Maybe a phone call is all she needs? As I observe all of the hard working mothers that come in to Mood Swings, I realize that just a day of recognition that they are important in the lives of their loved ones is truly meaningful. For all of the hardworking mothers out there, Mood Swings wants to recognize you! We encourage you to take some time out for yourself and RELAX!!
Here are some great and unique Mother’s Day ideas that will give you the ultimate rejuvenating experience:
- Get a Make-up Application with ANY Service for $35 (up to a $60 value)
- Get a 30 Minute Facial, 30 Minute Massage, and a Shampoo & Style with a Make-up Touch-up for $145 (up to a $170 value)
- Get $15 OFF ANY Back Treatment or Body Polish Service
Gift cards are available as well!!
We look forward to treating each mom to a day of pampering! Call 480-968-0268 to book!
Of course we shouldn’t just care about the environment one month out of the year, but the month of April is a great time to reflect on the ways in which we impact the Earth. Mood Swings Salon & Skin Spa and AVEDA strives to set an example for environmental leadership in several ways:
- Mood Swings is the only AVEDA retailer to offer a 10% product discount when you bring in any old beauty product bottle. Recycle your way into AVEDA!
- Mood Swings uses LED lighting to reduce energy costs
- Mood Swings partners with AVEDA and Western Resource Advocates to raise money and awareness for water conservation in the West.
- Earth Month Cut-A-Thon: Sunday, April 22nd, 9am-5pm (see below for more details)
- Mood Swings recycles hair to make mats and for assistance in soaking up the Gulf oil spill
- AVEDA is the first company to sign the CERES Principles (Coalition for Environmentally Responsible Economies)
- AVEDA uses responsible packaging, being the first beauty company with 100% post consumer recycled material
- AVEDA uses renewable energy, being the first beauty company manufacturing with 100% certified wind power
How can you help?
- Keep a pitcher of water in your refrigerator instead of running the faucet every time you need a drink
- Reuse water bottles rather than purchasing a new plastic bottle each time
- Hurry up the shower! Even decreasing your shower time by 5 minutes helps!
- When brushing your teeth don’t keep the water running
These are just a few ways to help, but you can also help conserve water in the West by participating in our Annual Earth Month-Cut-A-Thon! Here are the details:
- $30 Donation Per Service (100% of proceeds go to Western Resource Advocates)
- Haircut & Style
- 30 Minute Facial
- 30 Minute Massage
- When: Sunday, April 22nd from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Where: Mood Swings Salon & Skin Spa
- Appointments are limited, so book now!
As a natural brunette with dark eyes and dark skin (in the summer), I never thought I should venture too far away from my comfortable level 4(dark) brown hair. I tried some darker reds, color melting and some hi-lights but I was always overall on the dark
side. At the beginning of the year, I decided this was the time for change!
Knowing the toll going lighter takes on your hair, I started deep conditioning to prepare. I used Aveda Dry Remedy Treatment Masque once a week. This masque is awesome! I still use it weekly. I let a small amount sit in my hair for about 10 minutes once and I feel the results all week. I also got an Aveda Botanical Treatment. This treatment is more intense and only available in the salon. I recommend getting one of these treatments every time you color your hair. It lasts for weeks and makes your hair feel so soft and strong. My goal was to not only be lighter but to also keep my hair long and healthy.
For my first appointment we decided to do a full weave. Because I had previous color on my hair, a toner would definitely be necessary. Once you have colored your hair the color remains until you cut it off. Even though you may think it has faded out, it will affect any future color you put on your hair. You can always see the old color when you
start lightening your hair. Toners are necessary to even out the color of your hi-lights from roots to ends and to add or take away tones.
The first appointment came out great. The color was a little on the caramel side but
successful in being lighter and my hair was still healthy and long. I noticed right away that being lighter meant I didn’t have to wash my hair as often. I also noticed that the few gray hairs I have blended right in with the blonde. As a brunette, I could spot them
a mile away! I could get used to this. This was a good color for me but I still wanted to keep going lighter.
I waited 4 weeks (deep conditioning once a week), to do a partial weave. I didn’t want to do too much too fast, so I took things nice and slow. I think after this appointment you would definitely consider me blonde. I still have some dark pieces and some of my blonde is golden, but this is a natural result going from brown to blonde. I love that I changed my hair drastically. I encourage everyone to try something new if you have been thinking about it!
Things to consider: If your hair is as dark as mine, in order to maintain the blonde you should schedule your appointments for every 5 weeks. If that seems too high maintenance but you really want to be blonde I would book a base break for 4 weeks out to gently shift your natural color to blend in with your hi-lights and then your next foil appointment for 8 weeks. Now that I am lighter, colors look different on me. I have had to change the way I do my makeup and have been more adventurous wearing different
colors. New hair means a new look! Be prepared. Every time I wash my hair I use Aveda Color Conserve Shampoo and Conditioner, Color Conserve Daily Hair Protect and Damage Remedy Daily Hair Repair to keep my hair nourished and the color lasting.
By Mood Swings’ Stylist,
Jessica “Jade” Divis