Hair Extensions FAQs
About Hair Extensions
Q: What will extensions do for a client?
A: They will add length and/or thickness to existing hair. They are also a way to try highlights, lowlights, or fantasy colors without the use of chemicals on your natural hair.
Q: Can the extensions be any length?
A: No, if the hair extensions are too long, and your natural hair is too fine, the weight may weaken your hair.
Q: How long will the service take?
A: One to two hours for application is a good approximation.
Q: Are extensions damaging?
A: Extensions are not damaging if they are properly cared for.
Q: How long do the extensions last?
A: Our experience is that 4-6 weeks is typical depending on proper home care and maintenance although some guests have maintained them for 8 weeks.
Q: Does hair need to be colored to match the extensions?
A: Extensions are matched to your existing hair. If you would like an overall different hair color, you would need to come in a week before the extension service for a color service with the stylist.
Q: Are extensions uncomfortable?
A: They are very natural feeling and most guests do not experience any discomfort.
Q: Are extensions difficult to maintain?
A: They are not with proper care and maintenance; you will notice little difference between your own hair and your extensions.
Q: Is it normal for the extensions to fall out?
A: It’s normal to have shedding and some extensions may come out if the adhesive become loose.
Q: What type of method do you use for attaching the extensions to the hair?
A: We use individual extensions made from the highest quality 100% human hair available. The extensions are attached to the hair using pre-bonded, pre-cut, paper thin, weightless, ¼” adhesive bond strips with rounded corners. This technology produces a safe extension system that creates natural-looking results and is not damaging to the hair.
Q: Do I pay for the service at the consultation?
A: A non-refundable deposit of ½ of the cost of the service will need to be made in order to book the appointment.
Flashpoint Hair Extensions Care and Maintenance
- Do not wet/wash hair for 48 hours after hair extension application.
- Always brush the hair before shampooing. Be sure when brushing extensions out to lift up the bonds and brush between extensions near the scalp to prevent matting.
- Cleanse hair and condition at least 1-2 times weekly with Brilliant Shampoo and Conditioner. When conditioning the hair only apply conditioner from mid-shaft to ends, keeping conditioner off the bonds.
- When combing wet hair, towel blot hair and scalp, then hold hand firmly on the scalp and gently comb with a wide tooth comb. NEVER use a brush on wet hair.
- Use a boar bristle brush or specially designed loop bristle when styling hair to prevent catching the bonds with stiff bristles, hair must be 90% dry before using a brush.
- Avoid oily products such as emollients or humectants near the scalp, because they can weaken attachments. Also, you cannot use any products with citrus in it, it will remove the extensions.
- To prevent matting, loosely braid hair when sleeping or swimming.
- Never go to bed with wet hair.
- Avoid products with high alcohol content as they dry the hair out.
- Wash hair with a clarifying shampoo (such as Aveda’s Sun Source) and condition ends with Brilliant Conditioner after swimming in chlorinated or salt water.
- Use styling products and implements with care, paying special attention to keep direct heat from irons away from bonds, you may use iron over the bonds but only very briefly, do not apply constant heat to this area.
- Have any desired chemical services performed one week prior to installation of extensions.
Do not attempt to remove the extensions without professional assistance -- damage will occur.
Instructions for the Process
- description of the entire service
- pricing for your individual service
- review our policies
- make a non-refundable deposit payment: ½ service cost
- match your hair to the hair extensions
- set up appointment time for next service
- sign extension waiver
- we will order the hair, this is a one week process
- $25 fee applied to extension service
- appointment will last approximately three - four hours for a full head
- must arrive to the appointment with clean, dry hair
- a complimentary haircut and style will be given afterwards to blend extensions with the natural hair
One week later:
- follow up consultation to ensure the extensions are holding properly
- this service is also included in the initial cost
The “no heat” removal procedure takes approximately 1-2 hours (depending on the condition of your extensions at the time of removal). Please note: removal costs are NOT included in the application price. A haircut is recommended if new extensions are not being applied.
Flashpoint Hair Extension Waiver
I understand and have read the policies and procedures outlined above regarding the entire process of the hair extensions service. I do not hold Mood Swings Salon responsible in any way for the application, maintenance, and/or removal of my hair extensions. I agree to pay the non-refundable deposit and the cost of the service in full. I agree that if any problems arise at any time during or after this process, I will immediately notify the service provider.
- I understand the instructions for care and that the normal life of extensions is about two to three months.
- I understand that the deposit is non-refundable and will be forfeited if I cancel my appointment.
- I am aware of the 48-hour cancellation policy and tardiness policy, and will notify the salon 48 hours in advance if I cannot make a scheduled appointment, otherwise my deposit will not transfer to my new appointment.
I am aware that if I decide that I do not like the extensions, there will be no refund. Removal is not included in the original fee.
Printed name _____________________________________
Guardian if under 18_____________________________________
Service provider signature _____________________________________
Witness name _____________________________________
Witness signature _____________________________________
Permission to put photo in portfolio (client signature: optional)
I have never had an experience like the one I had here at Mood Swings. You guys are amazing and I have already started telling friends and family. I have also made my next appointment! Thanks Mood Swings!~ Georgianna